Thursday, July 31, 2008

Of Horses and Sons....

The area that we live in, is inundated with horses and horse people. It seems that just about everyone either currently has a horse, or has owned a horse in the past. The funny thing about this though, is that they are predominantly women, and when I say "predominantly," I mean predominantly! Back when I used to show in 4-H, the ratio of girls to boys was literally about 300:4....and that is being generous. My sister, Beki, was lucky enough to snag herself one of those boys, and they are now married...although he is no longer a boy...he is ALMOST 30...teeheehee..gotcha' SAM!!!!!

Anyway, what I am trying to say, is that I never really grew up around boys at all--I have three sisters!--let alone any boys who liked horses, so it is a strange feeling indeed, that I get when my son says that there is nothing like the smell of a barn with horses in it, or that he likes to ride bareback better than riding in a saddle. What???? I never know what to say. "Uhhh...good Eric, all girls...I mean boys...should love the smell of a barn?" Don't get me wrong...I am thrilled that my son likes horses, it's just that it definitely takes some getting used to...on my part. He is thinking that he might want to join the Jr. Rodeo, and I am all for it, because I KNOW that there are cowboy mentors there!

Because I have been riding bareback so much lately, Eric said that he wanted to try it too. I think that Bo was glad to see the bareback pad come out again. Amber's new Western saddle weighs about 45#, and I always feel guilty placing it on Bo's back....only because I then place myself on his back, and that, combined with the weight of the saddle, is a lot!!!
To my surprise, Eric took to bareback riding like a cat takes to milk...like a plant takes to rain...like...OK, I think that you get where I am going!!!
Hey...where did the helmet go???? Eric says he took it off at some point, and forgot to put it back on. Mmmmhhmmm.....sure you did!Next, we have Miss Katie, who was still practicing what she had learned from her lesson earlier. She traded her new paddock boots for her old tennis shoes though, because we bought
them a little large--so she can grow in to them!--and she said that they felt like they were going to fall off when her feet were not in the stirrups. Good grief, Katie!!! They are not THAT big!!!Waska looks like he is being very careful with his new, bossy, little, rider, doesn't he?
Then it was Amber's turn to ride Waska. He looks a little worried about that doesn't he? That's because Waska is quickly learning that kids are easy riders...that they don't ask for too much...unlike his main squeeze, Amber :)
"Oh no...here comes the "Waska, set your head," and "Waska, pick up the right lead," and Waska, half-pass to the left...then right!" I wish that Katie was still on my back."
Despite all of his grumbling, Waska behaved pretty well for Amber. He is still learning how to collect himself and pull it all together though...you know...to stop having his front end and hind end doing two different things at once?
Ahhhh....much better Waska and Amber!!!
When Amber was done working Waska, I stole Bo from Eric and we worked on backing and side-passing an "L," opening and closing gates...without letting go, and on picking up the canter from a stand still. Amber says we have to practice for the next trail challenge, so I do not look like someone who does not know what they are doing. Excuse me??? That sounds like a dare to me :)
Hope that everyone has had a great week so far, and I will have lots more to post this weekend.

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It really is so nice that your children love the horses and love to ride.

Melanie said...

Grey horse- It is nice! I am pleasantly surprised that they do though, because I know a lot of horsey mommy's whose kids want nothing to do with horses, and always figured that my son would be that way too.

Anonymous said...

I think it's the new boots that brought on the bareback riding. Now I need to find some really fluffy socks for KT's new boots.

Pony Girl said...

How nice to have such a flexible horse- one that plods along for the little ones, then extends and collects up for the big ones! ;)

And yes, as a single woman, I am WELL AWARE of the shortage of boys (men) around these parts! ;)

OH and yes, my parents are south of me!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love seeing photos of Waska. What a gorgeous horse :)

I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing pics from your next trail challenge.

Glad you had a good day riding and working with your horse :)

Mrs. Mom said...

Looks like it was a great day there! Little Cowboyman there looks right at home on Bo. Excellent!

Meg said...

Both of my kids started their lives out horseback. My son soon lost interest, much to my disappointment. My daughter, however is HER mother's daughter, lol!

It's funny, between their dad and me, I thought they would just both "natrually" love being horseback...sigh.

Waska, is beautiful!

Momma / Cowgirl said...

WOW.. I am so impressed, I love horses, but I have very little training under my belt. I grew up near the beach in Calif and that is where I lived until a few years ago.
That is where I raised my 6 kids. None are into horses, but they really like it when they come and visit and get to ride.

I am jealous, I want so much to ride everyday, but with having the foster kids, I can't. My day is gone by the time I get them to bed then I go to bed.. LOL