Hmmmm...let me think about this....OK, I am ready!
1) I never really reveal my name or anything about myself, so...my name is Melanie, and I am 33--soon to be 34!!--years old, and have been married to my husband, Kevin, for 12 years. And you thought that YOU were young when you got married Linda (lol)!
2) As a child, I wanted to be a veterinarian, and I started to work for one when I was 12. I continued to work for this particular vet for 10 years, but somewhere along the way, I realized that I did NOT want to be a vet, so I jumped over to human health care and became a nurse. I became pregnant with my first child just as I was about to step into a bachelors in nursing program, so I decided to wait until I was done with having kidlets, before I went back to school.
3) I am currently back in school, but low and behold, I am NOT getting my bachelors in nursing, rather I am pursuing my bachelors in social work, psychology, and cultural anthropology. Who knew??? Now when I grow up, I think that I want to go to graduate school, and possibly become a therapist/counselor. We will just have to see :)
4) Want to know my secret desire? I would love, love, love, to go live in a different country, preferably a third world country, and help people. Help them plant their crops, help them with health care, help them with housing...weird, I know. Of course, helping goes both ways, and the knowledge that I could gain about another culture and their way of life, would be priceless. Think about all of the interesting people I would/could meet...maybe one day...when my kids are all grown up...
5) OK, here is some horsey stuff!
I have always ridden and loved horses, and I got my first pony when I was 11. I was a 4-H member for seven years, and not only showed horses, but competed in record book keeping, judging, and public speaking. I really like judging and always thought that it would be fun to get a judges card in some area of showing...maybe one day...when my kids are grown up...lol! I am a "well rounded" equestrienne, and have ridden just about every discipline except for saddle seat or park. I have just never had a horse that was able to do it, otherwise I probably would have. Oh...I have never roped either, much to my son's chagrin!
6) I have ADD...no seriously, I do! Thankfully I see a wonderful psychologist who has helped me immensely using...ahem...behavior modification vs. having to take meds. Let me tell you one thing that I have learned from my social work and psych classes: MD's do NOT correctly diagnose many mental health disorders. I know this from working as a nurse for ten years as well. If you are having any issues and you have seen an MD who has said "Oh. You are just depressed. Take these pills and see me in 6 weeks," go to a licensed mental health counselor, therapist, or psychologist, and have THEM figure out what is wrong with you. Chances are it's NOT just depression! OK, I will get off of my soap box now!
I hope that I did not bore you to death! I could go WAY deeper, but I will stop now :)
I am tagging--you do not have to play along if you do not want to!!-- and some of you may have already been tagged by another person:
-20Meter Circle of Life
-JesterJigger @ Dressage Beginnings
-Heidi @ Heidi and Dave
-All Things Horses
-Pony Girl...although you ALWAYS share a lot about yourself!
-and anyone else who wants to play along!!!!