Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tagged...About Me!

The ever talented and oh so lucky, Linda (aka "Rancher Woman),"over at the 7MSN Ranch blog, dared me...I mean tagged me...to reveal six things that other people may not know about me.

Hmmmm...let me think about this....OK, I am ready!


1) I never really reveal my name or anything about myself, so...my name is Melanie, and I am 33--soon to be 34!!--years old, and have been married to my husband, Kevin, for 12 years. And you thought that YOU were young when you got married Linda (lol)!


2) As a child, I wanted to be a veterinarian, and I started to work for one when I was 12. I continued to work for this particular vet for 10 years, but somewhere along the way, I realized that I did NOT want to be a vet, so I jumped over to human health care and became a nurse. I became pregnant with my first child just as I was about to step into a bachelors in nursing program, so I decided to wait until I was done with having kidlets, before I went back to school.


3) I am currently back in school, but low and behold, I am NOT getting my bachelors in nursing, rather I am pursuing my bachelors in social work, psychology, and cultural anthropology. Who knew??? Now when I grow up, I think that I want to go to graduate school, and possibly become a therapist/counselor. We will just have to see :)


4) Want to know my secret desire? I would love, love, love, to go live in a different country, preferably a third world country, and help people. Help them plant their crops, help them with health care, help them with housing...weird, I know. Of course, helping goes both ways, and the knowledge that I could gain about another culture and their way of life, would be priceless. Think about all of the interesting people I would/could meet...maybe one day...when my kids are all grown up...


5) OK, here is some horsey stuff!
I have always ridden and loved horses, and I got my first pony when I was 11. I was a 4-H member for seven years, and not only showed horses, but competed in record book keeping, judging, and public speaking. I really like judging and always thought that it would be fun to get a judges card in some area of showing...maybe one day...when my kids are grown up...lol! I am a "well rounded" equestrienne, and have ridden just about every discipline except for saddle seat or park. I have just never had a horse that was able to do it, otherwise I probably would have. Oh...I have never roped either, much to my son's chagrin!


6) I have ADD...no seriously, I do! Thankfully I see a wonderful psychologist who has helped me immensely using...ahem...behavior modification vs. having to take meds. Let me tell you one thing that I have learned from my social work and psych classes: MD's do NOT correctly diagnose many mental health disorders. I know this from working as a nurse for ten years as well. If you are having any issues and you have seen an MD who has said "Oh. You are just depressed. Take these pills and see me in 6 weeks," go to a licensed mental health counselor, therapist, or psychologist, and have THEM figure out what is wrong with you. Chances are it's NOT just depression! OK, I will get off of my soap box now!


I hope that I did not bore you to death! I could go WAY deeper, but I will stop now :)
I am tagging--you do not have to play along if you do not want to!!-- and some of you may have already been tagged by another person:
-20Meter Circle of Life

-JesterJigger @ Dressage Beginnings

-Heidi @ Heidi and Dave

-All Things Horses

-Pony Girl...although you ALWAYS share a lot about yourself!

-and anyone else who wants to play along!!!!

10 comments:

Dressage Nomad said...

Aaack! This is the first time I've been tagged for anything. I'll have to think of something interesting to say, lol.

Melanie said...

Jesterjigger- Iknow!! It'shard to think of things about yourself.

the7msn said...

Thanks for playing along, Melanie. I wanted to be a vet when I was a kid, too, til I figured out some of my patients might possibly die. Now I aspire to marry one. But I'd settle for a farrier...or the owner of a feed store.

20 meter circle of life said...

come on over its done

20 meter circle of life said...

email me privately and I will tell you all about what I do dq4abu@gmail.com

Melanie said...

7MSN-
A farrier, feed store owner, or a car mechanic, would ALL be great professions to marry into!!

20 Meter-
Got it! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I did not know you fancied third world travel. I think I figured out my blogging blunder!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I enjoyed reading more about you. I wanted to be a vet, too. And actually was a vet tech for a year and also decided to go into the nursing field. So I worked as a NA for a couple of years and then moved into the travel industry.

I think it's neat that you use the word 'kidlets', too. I rarely read or hear anyone else using that word. :)

I've also thought about living in a foreign country. My husband wanted us to missionary work, but I didn't feel the same calling, so we stayed in the US.
Maybe one day when your kids are grown you'll get that opportunity to live that secret dream, even if it's only for a few months to a year.

Train Wreck said...

Well, Hello Mel!! How brave!!How fun!! You have the funniest posts!!Make me laugh!! I don't think I could think of 3 things about me let alone the amount you came up with!! Great, interesting, stuff too!!!

Meg said...

I love these things and no one tagged me...I am going to go eat worms and die...lol!

Very interesting stuff here, thanks for the insight! It's always fun learning about people we call our online friends!