Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week In Review

Much to my hubby's dismay--and despite my crabbiness!!--we had a rather horse-filled, action-packed, and all around "busy" week. The kids went swimming with friends; we gave Avalon her first experience around horses; Katie had her first lesson; we tidied up the fence and bought a new charger/hot box to zap the horses; and finally, Amber and I got to go for a nice, long ride! Perfect end to a not-so-great week!

This photo is another before and after shot. One minute we have Eric and Sienna, taking a moment to bond with a pose...
...and the next minute we have Bo, with Eric's swim trucks lying at his feet. Hmmmm...what do you supposed happened to Eric, Bo? Notice the innocence that is oozing from Bo's big, brown, eyes :)
"I didn't see nuthin'! I swear it on my hay!"Anyway, we found Eric. He was in the tack room of the trailer, changing from his swim trunks to his Wranglers, when Bo reached in and grabbed them. Uhh huh...Bo is always looking for his next meal. You better watch out, Eric!
Avalon--a sorta cousin!--is visiting from California, and had never been near a horse. We had to amend that didn't we??? She was very patient about waiting for me to have an opportunity to take her up to Amber's, and I think that she had a great time when I finally did. She took to the cart easily enough, and also rode Bo, who pulled all of his "I am a smart, old, horse, and can tell that you know nothing," tricks on her. Way to go Avalon!
Miss Katie had her first lesson on a darling pony named Elmer. She is going to learn English riding first, and then she can do whatever she wants...I am hoping jumping or dressage :) See here I go...another parent living through my kid...just joking (lol)!!!
I call this one " How many kids does it take to halter a pony?" Both of my kids have a difficult time with Sienna's halter. I think that it is because it is soooo small. See Amber's dog Duke? He has demonic, yellow eyes. Duke is what happened when a neighbors Catahoula Hound got in with my friends Australian Shepherd. He is a good boy...most of the time!
As you can see, at Amber's house, we lock Eric in the paddock with Sienna. Haha...not really!!
Eric and I were on fence duty, and had to walk around the perimeter to remove anything that was touching the hot wire. Sienna just wanted to tag along. She was hoping that Eric would discover something to eat in all of those flowers.There's Miss Smiley Face again! Yes, even when she is picking up manure, she smiles. Waska is also helpful around the farm. He was out eating grass, when he realized that someone should supervise Amber and Eric, while they were picking up manure.
"Oh look, you missed a piece,"he said. Amber and Eric just walked away. Sorry Waska, people don't always listen to me either! At the end of all of our hard work, we decided to saddle up the ponies and let the kids ride for a while, then it was our turn :)
Katie, being very in tune with Bo--not really, it just sounds good!!--offered him what water was left in my cup, and Bo, being an old show horse, knew exactly what to do!
"Why thank you, Katie! I was so very thirsty."
Hope you all have a great Saturday! I will post again soon...is that a threat or a promise??

13 comments:

Train Wreck said...

Great pictures and Comments!! I love your little horses!! I have been gone forever it seems! I have alot of catching up to do!!
When you get a chance come on over, I have something for you... oh a mystery!!! Have a great weekend!!

Dressage Nomad said...

Oh my gosh, I had to do a double take with the before and after pictures. At first I thought you were saying Sienna and Bo were the same horse! I didn't know if it was my eyes or you have some crazy method of body clipping and shampooing! Sounds like it was a blast though, loved the pictures!

20 meter circle of life said...

Sounds like a great week. I am hoping she takes up Dressage too.
See you at Devonwood in a few weeks :)

Heidi said...

Hey! Thanks for the reminder, and THANKS for tagging me :-) I have not had enough blogging time this week, so I will get on that. You are right, it is really fun to learn about each other and it's cool that there's a community of people who read each other's blogs!

Your pictures are so cute! I love reading your blogs :-)

Melanie said...

Train wreck- I like your new picture, and thanks for the award!

Jesterjigger-Hahaha...I am glad that I had you going for a minute there!

20 Meter-DevonWood here we come!!! After watching you, I am sure that she will want to take up dressage :)

Heidi-Thank you, and I cannot wait to read about you!

Heidi said...

Oh, forgot to mention that I added a link to your blog from mine. I hope that is okay! Let me know if you would rather I remove it. I would like to share the blogs I enjoy with other people.

Nancy said...

What a great blog you write! Loved the pic of Smiley Face! And also the ones with Katie giving Bo the cup of water!!! I think children who are brought up with animals turn out to be better adults!!! I love a blog that features animals!

Those swim trunks made me laugh! Good thing he had his Wranglers to put on!

Sounds like you lead an exciting and busy life, to say the least!

Drop by my blog as the other day I passed on a couple of awards to all my regular readers. You AND your blog are so deserving!!! Please feel free to pick up these awards.

(((((( HUGS ))))))

Train Wreck said...

Did you figure it out? How to get your award?? If you didn't here's how I do it... I right click on the picture, (you can use the one on my page)Then I save it in a file on my computer. I copy and paste the rules where I want it on my post. I "add a photo" and add the picture of the award I have saved. I don't know if that is how everyone else does it? But it works for me! Let me know if it works for you!

Angie Penrose said...

I am such a slacker when it comes to commenting on your blog! :) Looks like you guys have been having lots of fun with your horses and things. We need to get together! We miss you guys!

Stephanie said...

Hi there! :D You posted a comment on my blog, so I thought I'd come and check out yours as well. I'm loving it! :D I notice you post a lot of photos of horses..my daughter would absolutely LOVE to learn to ride one day. Maybe..we'll see. ;D Anyway..just wanted to say hello! :D

Pony Girl said...

Looks like a super busy yet great week, for sure!

My Boy knows how to give that "I know you know nothing" attitude, too. How do they do that??

Your kiddos look like hard workers that enjoy all the horsecare chores on the farm! You are doin' something right! ;)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Your blog is so much fun to read.
Just another great post filled with adorable and funny horses, kids and dogs, again. I could neer get tired of it. :)

I particularly got a big smile from Katie's sweet smile and Bo's cup-sipping, and Demon-dog Duke looking like he wans to take a chunk out of someone's butt.
Bwahaaha!

Thanks for the terrific photos and stories to go with them.

Melanie said...

Nancy- thanks for your kind words. I will have to head over there soon!

Train Wreck- Gotcha girlfriend :)

Angie- Yes we need to get together!!!

Jinksee- Nice to meet you too! Your family pics turned out great!

Pony Girl- Yes, I can see where your Boy has that same look...alot!!

Twinville- Likewise! What can I say?? Your blog is awesome too!