Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Another Little Secret of Mine.....

Some of you know-and some of you don't know-that I used to work for a paint horse farm back in the late 80's and early 90's. Gee whiz, that dates me...lol!!!! They primarily bred halter horses, and I was able to see a lot of nice looking stock back in the day-now I sound even older...teeheehee!!!

(Horses like Barlink Macho Man, Jetalito, Scribbles, Lucky Straw, Mr. Norfleet, and Cajun Joe Jet)
I would accompany them to several big shows in WA and OR, and besides helping prepare the stallions and mares for their classes, I would also ring steward for the judges. I always said I was going to get my judges card...maybe one day....

Now I could get into quite the conversation about APHA politics-from back in those days-and about how the paint horse market, like almost any breed market,became flooded with over breeding, unsightly horses, and genetic problems, but I won't.
What I wanted to do was show what I consider to be some nice looking paint horses, but be forewarned, not all of them would hold up under hard riding-again, I won't discuss that here, but just know that I know that the horses may contribute to some of the ongoing soundness issues that plague QH's and Paints alike.

(The handsome black and white stallion in the two pictures above can be found here)

So remember, I am not looking at breeding so much as I am looking at coloring. Hey...isn't that what got a lot of breeders in trouble???? LOL!!!!
(You can find this boy here, but again, don't look at his breeding...teeheehee)
At least this stallion can be ridden....
Here's a handsome gelding that moves well in the arena....Again...I am looking at coloring and markings. Just a reminder, as this mare's conformation needs help, but I like her color pattern.I also happen to really be partial to roan horses...blue, bay, or red, but I can't seem to find any that really jump out and grab me. Wait! Here's one.
And another....

Find this blue roan stallion here......And here is a miscellaneous bay roan that I found on the Internet.Okay, it's out. I like paints and roany QH's too...lol!!!!! Who doesn't like a little color every now and then, right????

14 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love paint horses and had one of the best paints who ever lived, Lifeguard for 17 years. He was the best. We now have Blue, who is very sweet but very lazy and stubborn. But you just got to love 'em anyway.
These pictures are all great, I'd love to own that blue roan stallion, he's a gorgeous color.

Paint Girl said...

I, of course, love Paints! Love that blue roan stallion too, I have always loved blue roans!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yep...that pretty color is what got me into trouble. lol!
The paint patterns can be hypnotizing, can't they?

Buy me...whooowwooo....buy me....whooowooooo.

LOL!

~Lisa

Gail said...

I have always loved Roans but have only owned one miniature that was red roan in summer and snowflake appaloosa in winter...strange!

Paige said...

I have my first roan this year, and she is totally tripping me out! I don't breed for color, but when it shows up, it is fun

Paint Girl said...

I just saw your comment over at Tracey's, and had to come tell you, it's only an hour and 50 minutes and I will be there! Ok you said the hour and 50 minutes, but it would be so cool if you could come!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Beautiful. I've heard stories from others who have worked with breeding stallions...'nuff said.

I seem to be drawn to dappled & flea bitten grays, although a sleek black certainly catches my eye, too.

bandcg@comcast.net said...

Your affection for roan horses probably has something to do with your first pony!

Melanie said...

Everyone-Glad you all enjoy those wacky paint horses too!! :)

Carolynn-Those grays get me every time too! :)

Mom-Yeah...you are probably right. I should do a post about Cricket, Pinto and Shadest. No color there, right??? LOL!!!

Melanie said...

Paint Girl-I would LOVE to drive up there, but we have two birthday parties on Saturday. Maybe next time Tracey has a mustang thingy???

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

LOL-Sounds like an AA meeting.

"Hello, my name is Melanie and I like colorful horses"

I sure don't mind riding a good-looking colorful horse either.

As for soundness issues...well heck, nearly every breed and type within that breed has their little "issues". For the most part it's simply whatever someone wants to invest to keep them going.;)

Melanie said...

BEC-LOL!!! I do kind of sound like I am admitting to my secret addiction, and getting help for it, don't I????? And yes, every breed has its issues. I just always try to make the point of my posts very clear, because there is always someone who happens to come along and point out something negative-when you are talking about breeds-which was not my intention. :)

Now...are you going to send Frosty my way, or what???? LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Melanie!
I have drool all over my keyboard from looking at these great looking ponies. That black and white sure looks powerful. And you were into the big shows,huh... no wonder you know so much.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mellie! I wonder if we've crossed paths in the past! I worked for a Paint Farm down in Tumwater in the early 90's to 2001, and I went to shows, etc with them in WA. Hmm...