Saturday, July 24, 2010

Summertime....

Happy Saturday everyone! The sun is finally out (again!) and so we decided to take a ride up to Crystal Mountain Resort, which is where the kidlets do a lot of snowboarding in the winter.
( Isn't Mt. Rainier beautiful??? )
During the summer, you can ride the chair lifts up to the summit and either ride them back down, hike down, or mountain bike down. We ended up riding the lifts back down because we were not sure how long of a hike it was back to the base.
On the way up and down, there are beautiful mountain meadows, with lots of elk and dear tracks all over the place. My husband and son were drooling...lol!!!! And it is pretty darn steep too!Do you see the river that snakes behind us in the photo below? That is the one that runs through the town that we live in . It is also why we are in big trouble if Mt. Rainier ever decides to blow again....

Oh, and FYI, Mt. Rainier is 12 miles away from where we are standing in this picture. Crazy, right???There are also a lot of places to do serious back country horseback riding, and we spotted these riders on our way down.
Just look at the angle of this run (pic below). Can you believe that this in an intermediate run, and that my kidlets have snowboarded down it multiple times??? No thanks!!!!!

I joked with them that I was not going to let them snowboard anymore.....Well, hope that you are all having a good weekend. I am still getting used to the fact that I do not have to go back to school in one month. I keep thinking that my free weekends are almost over. Sigh...I am sure that I will get used to it...lol!!!

5 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Oh..Get used to that lovely FACT!!No Mo go to school! I am so happy for you still too!

OH!! That Mountain is
G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! I can't believe i still have not been there...maybe I was waiting for my truck...so I may bring my horsey to meet you and we may go ride there! Seeing those riders..totally cool!!!! Find out Mellie..I have an "unplanned trip" yet to make..I feel it in me!

Xo
KK

Gail said...

You are so very blessed to have this beautiful landscape almost in your back door.

Chelsi said...

That looks beautiful! I was just in Whistler and we were going to go up the mountain but didnt... seeing your pics I wish we had:)


I want to ride it!!

Rising Rainbow said...

I can't believe that is an intermediate run. I'd hate to see what the advanced ones are like.

You see a different view of the mountain than me. Now I'm searching my memory banks to remember what towns see your view. It's a good thing I have Crystal as a frame a reference. That helps a lot. I have been through your area but have never ridden horses there. It looks like a great place to ride.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Breath-takingly beautiful scenery!
The angle of that mountain is surprising. It's looks as if the trees are practcally laying down on their sides so they can grow straight to the sky. I bet the speed the snowboarders get on that mountain is intense! No thanks!

We've got those kinds of summer ski lifts and a tram on our Sandia Mountain, too. I haven't taken my kids on the summer ski lift yet, but we have done the tram.

All those snow-covered volcanoes up there scare me. If something does blow, there will be so many people affected. I hope it never happens in your lifetime.

Enjoy your summer! You deserve it.

~Lisa