Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How to "Pony" a Pony!!!

Okay...I am ready to move on to a less controversial subject (at least I think it is...lol!!) and that is to show some highlights of my ride last week. Amber was feeling a little sorry for Sienna, because she has been getting left at home a lot lately, so she decided that we should "pony" her with us on our ride.
And as you can see, she was quite pleased that we took her along. (Not so with Bo!! Can you see his ears??) Amber used to pony her on rides a lot, but now that she has kidlets who can ride and drive her again, she kind of stopped doing it.

Do you notice anything else unusual about these pictures??? Yes?? No??? Well I am riding Waska and not Bo. Amber had taken him on two long rides, two days in a row, and didn't want him to hate her, so she asked me if I wanted to ride him. Gee thanks Amber...let's make him hate me instead...lol!!!

Waska was excellent (as usual), and he reminded me why I picked him out in the first place. As the all knowing, all powerful, oldest sibling, I often like to point out to Amber that I picked out Bo and Waska...lol!!! She takes it all in stride though, and says it is kind of weird that I have chosen her two main horses.
I did notice something interesting about both horses and myself while riding though. When I convinced her to lease Bo years ago, I had her do it because of his training, and because of his quirky personality, and that was when Eric was still a baby, and I was still riding Shadest (the bucking horse).
Fast forward to Waska, whom I picked out because of a hunch, and was the only person to ride him when we went to look at him (Amber was still recovering from her ATV accident). It was pretty obvious that he had little training, but there was just something about him, and I told Amber that with her knowledge and a little work, she would have him going in no time.

Amber took a big risk in buying him really, because she was going off of what I was feeling from him and not what she was feeling...because she couldn't ride. Anywho, I guess what I am trying to say is that I like Waska's energy a lot better than I like Bo's.

Don't get me wrong...I still love Bo Bo, and will continue to ride him (unless I can convince Amber to let me ride Waska forever...lol and just kidding!!), but he puts off a kind of frantic, frenetic, energy (similar to the way I used to be, and the energy I can still put off when I am stressed); whereas Waska puts out a calm, soothing, and relaxed energy (similar to the person that I am now). Something for me to think about, eh?

Look at Sienna warning us to get back (below)!! Isn't she just the cutest??

I mean, I was riding Waska in his rope halter and galloping for Pete's sake, and I was not worried about anything at all. I honestly think that this is because Bo is extremely chargey (I know...not a real word!) and he puts out that chaotic energy, which then makes my chaotic energy react. Make sense???


Waska on the other hand, just gallops freely and easily, causing me to stay relaxed. I was really amazed, because I had just written that post about galloping, and here I was doing it with no inhibitions whatsoever. Weird, huh??? Kind of a cool realization too though....

Well...thanks for bearing with me here... I am off to study statistics and social policy. I will try to get out and catch up with your blogs between now and Sunday. I have skimmed some of them, but have not had time to leave good comments. I promise I will be back...lol!!!

13 comments:

Krystina said...

lovely pictures! Glad you had a great ride and Waska was on top of his game. What a cute pony sienna is!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's always a good day after a great ride, isn't it?

Sienna is soooo cute!

I've been thinking about ponying my horse along with me when I ride so that I can get two exercised at the same time. Just gotta go for it, I guess, and see what happens.

Pony Girl said...

I love that you ponied Sienna. We see quite a few people ponying ponies and young horses on our trails. Once a pony was just following behind it's people, a big bell on around it's neck! It kept stopping to eat though and was falling behind!
I wish I was comfortable galloping on My Boy on the trails. We just walk on the trails, maybe trot a bit. We don't want our horses to get rushy or expect to run. Then it's not relaxing. I think your energy w/Bo, can happen with Paint Girl and her mare. Brandy can get a little edgey and if your energy rises with her, she just escalates. Luckily, thanks to a lot of riding and training, Brandy now puts trust in my sister and is much better on the trails! Except when she spooks from the occasional daisy, LOL!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great photos! I love BoBo's neck in that last photo of him...and his 'tude' when he thought that Sienna was going to butt in front of him or get too close. hehe

Amber is a strong rider, too. Perfect for riding BoBo when he's feeling chargey, or frantic.

I want to see a new photo of you riding Waska. I bet you look great on him. There's something so great about riding a calm horse, isn't there.

Galloping, eh? I bet you had a huge smile on your face!

~Lisa

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Sienna is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Nice photos.

Gail said...

Is it simply wonderful how a "workout" can be so full of pleasure?

Unknown said...

Look at the round pony! he he!
Don't tell her I said that. I would hurt her feelings and she is just wintering well.

Looks like your ride was fun! Bo's energy may not be exactly the best but he seem like a very handsome and willing ride partner?..

C-ingspots said...

Oh Melanie that pony is just adorable! It's amazing how much of a difference it makes when you're relaxed on your mount just what you're capable and comfortable of doing.
But...I'm so confused. Is Amber your daughter? Or just a riding buddy? Is Bo your horse or Amber's and whose horse is Waska??
Sorry, maybe I've missed something along the way...but I'm so confused!
Those trails look like great all-weather trails and very safe for winter riding. Are they close? Wish we had some safe winter riding trails, but around here everything is steep and very muddy.

Melanie said...

Cingspots-I just left you an explanatory email over on your blog. :)

Stephanie-Yes, Bo is a great partner, and I will still continue to ride him. I was just kind of writing about my discovery on our personalities. :)

Chelsi said...

That is too freakin' cute!!! I love that little pony when she is looking back with the "back off" look...she doesnt have a clue shez tiny!! lol

I totally understand what you mean about riding a horse that is so quiet "inside" that just feels so calm, safe and steady. The horse I rode last week, Sage is just like that. You can relax and chat and even when she jumps a little (like an inch) or takes an extra look at something "scary" you never doubt for second that she'll come right back to you in a split second... sometimes it is nice to be the walk that is calmed by the horse, rather than having to be the one that does the calming.... maybe that is also reflective of all the demands you have in your life...that you maybe have to be so many things to so many people (mom, wife, student etc..) that when you go to relax and enjoy yourself you'd rather be the receiver than the giver. ...maybe... lol

Melanie said...

Elaina-
Thanks for stopping by! Glad that I can entertain you. :0

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures -- but my only worry is that you aren't wearing a helmet.

Anonymous said...

Oops..I mean your friend. You must be taking the picture. :)